9 Ways to Decorate with Pumpkins
Halloween is finally here! It’s easy to “fall” into the Halloween spirit when the leaves change and begin to drift off of the trees, the evening light develops a warm glow, the days become chilly and brisk, and the smell of wood smoke permeates the crisp autumn air. Jack-o-lanterns, spiders, and ghosts start to dot the neighborhood landscape, and before you know it, Halloween has arrived.
We absolutely love this holiday, though our Halloween decorating style tends to fall somewhat short of super-spooky witches and ghouls. If, like us, you are looking for a more natural and traditional looking Halloween display, pick up a couple (hundred) pumpkins from the store or pumpkin patch and read on. We have put together a list of 9 ways to decorate (and decorate with) everyone’s most beloved holiday gourd.
9. The Chevron Pumpkin: People are WILD for chevron this season, and what better way to venture into this fun pattern than by painting it on a pumpkin? Keep it even more current by using white, gold, glitter, or a mix of all three to cover the creation. You could also consider using different geometric patterns like herringbone, houndstooth, or a tribal print stencil.
8. The Pumpkin Stack: What a way to welcome party guests or trick-or-treaters! I love the idea of the pumpkin stack- it looks chic and rustic with the tin bucket base, but it’s easy to make, and best of all it can say whatever you want it to!
7. The Mumpkin: Get it? “Mum” pkin? I love this pumpkin idea because it mixes a fall icon with the last remains of summer in a way that incorporates all of the colors of the season. I have never seen anyone make mumpkins before, have you?
6. The Pumpkin Planter: These are kind of the same idea as the Mumpkin, but a little bit simpler and more elegant. You can use flowers, or almost anything else (like fall foliage branches or cat tails) to fill these pumpkin planters. So many ideas!
5. The Pumpkin Entryway: I LOVE this entryway. The use of pumpkins of all different sizes, colors and materials provides a great holiday flare, while the hurricane lanterns and pedestals help to add a layering effect that creates a depth to this display that really makes it unique. Crows are optional.
4. The Pumpkin Bowl: Throwing a Halloween party this year? You can thank us later for this idea. Everyone will love grabbing their snacks out of a pumpkin, and we think the bandanna inside adds the perfect touch of Western to the serving bowl. We have also seen punch bowls inserted into hollowed-out pumpkins that make perfect cauldrons for serving your Witch’s Brew.
3. The Pumpkin Pillow: Not all of your pumpkin decorations have to be perishable. These homespun pumpkin pillows add warm, rustic colors and textures to any space they occupy, and the best part is you can bring them out every year!
2. The Pumpkin Basket: Who would have thought? Throw a pumpkin in a basket for an instant rugged look. All the better if you can add a burlap pillow, pinecones, and a hurricane lantern. I love this display because it shows how you can turn your existing outdoor furniture into an elegant fall scene with only a few simple additions.
1. The Pumpkin Mantle: Once again you can see how easy it is to transform your home landscape with a few simple touches. This photo brings the outdoor display inside by adding small and medium pumpkins onto the mantle. Paper flowers (or any wall decoration) add height and broaden the decoration area, extending it off of the mantle and giving the impression of a fully decorated space.
We hope you enjoyed browsing this pumpkin extravaganza as much as we enjoyed creating it. Home on the Range has everything you need to create these Halloween displays (except for the pumpkins), so stop in and see what simple accent pieces you can find to create a Halloween masterpiece today!
One more note: don’t hold us to this, but we heard that putting little silicon “do not eat” packets inside carved pumpkins will keep them from molding and rotting- give it a shot and let us know on our Facebook page if it worked for you!